[pianotech] Favorite Piano Recordings

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Jul 21 15:19:25 MDT 2009

Good point!  I cringe to hear old jazz recordings where they probably
jammed all night,  THEN  said, "Hey, that sounds good...let's record it!
Although some of the best musical jazz moments might have been lost if
they waited until the piano tech came and did his/her thing!! ;>) Probably
true for lots of musical history now forever embedded in our minds and in
eternal recordings.  I've done lots of jams where I wished, after the
fact, that we had been recording.  Just beautiful music that only we and
God enjoyed!  But hey...who better to play for??

But very true, Jim.  It gives us a very good sense of what we DONT want!
Also a good basis to work from.  The perfect "zone of agreement" ( a term
I learned from being a Political Science major in college) of what sounds
good is, and always will be, indeed, a "zone"!  Some like it hot...some
like it cold....

Balance and consistency from note to note is my primary focus, and I tend
to lean toward the "biting" edge (not harsh by any means) rather than
mellow sound when it comes to a stage/performance piano.  However, in my
home...I like a mellower tone so as to not overdo it for me or any
listening audience!

Just my 2 cents.

Paul