[pianotech] My first convention

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Tue Jul 21 17:36:00 MDT 2009

> Subject: [pianotech] My first convention
>

>> Greetings all,

>>  Its as if I found a new home with a  long lost
>> group of friends that I'd never met before. I can truly say  it was a
>> pleasure meeting absolutely everyone that I was able to meet.  I didn't
>> have a single uncomfortable or bad encounter with anyone.<SNIP>
>>  >> Rob McCall
>> Murrieta, CA

     Rob,
     I'm assuming then that you must not have met Phil Bondi !
Hey -- just kidding my good pal Phil---even if he is a Yankee fan--
Rob,Nice post . I was not at the convention this year but hope to attend
next year.
 My first convention was 75' in Hollywood Florida . I was 21 years old with
a tooth brush and 50 bucks in my pocket . My hotel reservation was a  66'
Rambler Ambassador with the seats that fold back.  Soon enough I was hanging
with about 10 new friends--Dean Garten  and Randy Morton among them .
The lack of Hotel room wasn't a problem as we beat the night for most of the
convention .
The classes with Jim Coleman ,George Defebaugh, Fred Drasche,Cliff Geers.
Steve Jellen and the comraderie of all sealed the deal for me.
I was a student member and a part time "Tooner" with an Aubrey Willis
diploma and until that convention I had doubts about ever being able to do
this full time.
Now 30 something years later I am full time (Although not as full time
lately) and still realize there is much more to learn that I've learned so
far. Too bad I'll be dead before I really know what I'm doing.
The beverages will be on Mr. Bondi next time and your invited.
Best,
Tom Driscoll