[pianotech] Stage Lighting & Tuning

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 22 07:19:48 MDT 2009

Hey Alex,

Of course!

Back to the lighting. With the pre-heating, the piano was always acceptable. I did the big tuning before rehearsals and touched up between rehearsal and performance. The piano may have drifted a little (never more than 2-3 cents), and the unisons held nicely.

The previous tech complained of stability of the instrument, but I didn't have a problem with it. It wasn't an easy piano to tune, but I think my success wasn't due to my wonderful tuning technique (grin), but instead, I was simply tuning the piano at the right time and under the right conditions.

There has been discussion before on this list about stability and the number of people working on a piano. In this case, I was the only one tending this piano, so it was interesting to see how the piano held up from gig to gig.

Best,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois