[pianotech] New stuff at the convention?

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 22 09:36:45 MDT 2009

I must have reached some kind of new threshold at the conference in Grand Rapids; I looked around at all the new tools and didn't feel like I needed to buy one.... Strange.

A couple of new things did catch my eye - There was more there, but these two were memorable for me:

>From Scott Jones, the inventer of the pitch lock clips, the TouchRail for lightening heavy actions. Essentially a new custom rail to replace the key upstop rail. A small spring for each key can be used to individually adjust the touch. I bought an octave section to be used in for demonstration.
http://pitchlock.com/pages/primary_pages/touchrail.html
I hope to be trying this out soon!

>From Steven James, the grand piano muffler. This one seems to work really well! Simple installation requires pulling the dampers out and installing onto the damper rail. On/off requires sliding three little levers, one for each section.
http://www.grandpianomuffler.com/Site/Grand_Piano_Muffler.html

What did you see in Grand Rapids that caught your eye?

Ron Koval
chicagoland