[pianotech] Bench Photos

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 07:32:53 MDT 2009

Chuck said: "Once they are up and available on the website, I'll email
captions

to go along with the pictures."

Chuck,

That would be helpful as there are some photos that I have no clue what
is.<G> Would like to see it in sequence. The original posting said something
about a "Portable" bench. If that's the case, I'd like to see it in it's
"Portable" phase.

All and all, that's very good craftsmanship and a great deal of thought and
planning has gone into it, quite apparantly!<G>

Regards,

Joe

>Ah! Finally! The last 2 photos showed the "portable" aspect of the bench!
Now I understand. However, I sure wouldn't want to move that sucker by
myself!<G> I assume, (there's that awful word!), that all of the tools are
removed before it's laid on end and bounced down the road. Tis' a thing of
beauty, to be sure! Harkens me back to the time when I had the TIME to do
such monumental projects! Although there are a few things, I would have done
differently, it's still soooo well planned and sooo well execeuted! Puts
many of the Fine Woodworking Benches to shame, IMHO! Truly functional where
many of the Fine Woodworking thingees are purely like a Californian Hot Rod,
(all SHOW and no GO<G>). Several ideas were gleaned for future projects in
my shop.<G>

Still would like to see a lot of the photos with captions for clarification.
Probably the best way would be to let the rest of the Piano Technician World
see this beauty in The Journal!

Best Regards,

joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)

Captain, Tool Police

Squares R I<

Thanks, Joe, for the thoughtful comments. I’ll be glad to provide
explanations for the photos. I’ll try it with the links for each photo
included, but if that doesn’t work, check Vol. 9, Issue 148.

Let me give a bit of background. The idea for the bench came about as a
result of a series of informational articles that I’m writing for Schaff (12
of which have been completed – a whole bunch more to go). Herb Johnson of
Schaff offered to give me booth space at the Schaff exhibit to set up a
small display. I thought I could build a simple little “portable” bench to
bring along to give the feel of an actual shop. It had to be small enough to
toss in the back of our minivan, so with the outside dimensions jotted down
on a piece of cardboard, I started to work.

Well, suffice it to say I got carried away. The first thing I built was the
outside of the bench top, using 2 X 8 Douglas fir and mortise and tenon
joints. After that, I somehow forgot the idea of simple, and just went for
functional and solid.

The end result is not what I would call portable, but it is collapsible and
storable. It is also extremely functional. I’ve got 10 other benches in my
shop, and every one of them has a dedicated purpose. All of them are fine
for their specific function, but they would not be the ideal bench for
someone with limited space, who wanted to be able to do a variety of tasks.

As I built this bench, I had in mind the person starting out, with a small
space (such as I had back in the 1970’s). Given this bench design, and 1
stall of a garage, a technician could do a fairly inclusive restoration of
an upright or a small grand.

It also would be the ideal bench for the technician who had not put down
roots yet, who would still be pulling up stakes and moving from time to
time. With all my other benches, I would have to use a chain saw to
disassemble them, since they all are glued and bolted together. This bench
does collapse, and in an hours time it can be made ready to move, and then
reassembled at a new location in another hours time. Although I knocked it
down and set it up by myself (just to see if it could be done), the job
would be much easier with the assistance of another person.

Here, then are the photo links and captions.

<
http://ptg.org/pipermail/files/attachments/20090722/11b2665b/attachment-0012.jpg

Photo 1

Photo 1 shows the bench set up for work. The legs (shelving units, actually,
with 2 X 6 mortise and tenon framework, and ¾ inch plywood backing for
rigidity) are hinged with continuous hinges and fold up and inward to meet
in the center. The tool display on the back of the bench is also hinged, and
folds down (after removal of supplies and tools, of course). When set up,
the bench is rock solid (someone who attended the convention might comment
on this to back me up.) Although it’s free standing in this picture, it
feels as if it’s bolted to the wall.

<
http://ptg.org/pipermail/files/attachments/20090722/11b2665b/attachment-0013.jpg

Photo 2

 Photo 2 is a closer view of the bench top surface. It is made of two
layers. An underlayer of 5/8 plywood is screwed and glued down to the 2 X 6
inner framework of the top. The surface layer is ¾ oak veneer plywood, which
is fastened to the underlayer with screws driven up from underneath. It is
not glued, so that it may be replaced down the road if excessive wear and
tear make it unsuitable. It has a 5 coat shellac finish on it, which is
easily repairable. It is flat enough for ordinary grand regulation, but if I
were doing really fine regulation, I might be tempted to use a even flatter
laminate for the top.  I just like the oak grain, myself. If grand
regulation was to be undertaken, an insert to fill the back tool well would
be needed if a let-off rack were to be used on the bench.

I built the top so that the outer rim of Douglas Fir is a bit higher than
the bench top surface, to prevent drill bits and such from rolling off, but
by raising the inner rim just a bit, it could be made flush.

<
http://ptg.org/pipermail/files/attachments/20090722/11b2665b/attachment-0014.jpg

Photo 3

Photo 3 shows the side tool rest for small bench top tools. I’ve always
wanted to have a easy way to mount a grinder or small drill press right next
to the bench top, and this does the trick. The horizontal beam was made from
4 thickness of 3/4 inch oak lumber. It extends all the way along the side of
the bench and is bolted to the side with 3 hefty bolts.

The hammers suspended from the beam slip over l-shaped hangers. The tool pad
that the grinder is mounted on was made from 2 thickness of ¾” oak veneered
plywood. The pad is held in place by a single 9” bolt. The use of a single
bolt to hold the pad in place makes it possible to turn the tool to whatever
angle is convenient.

<
http://ptg.org/pipermail/files/attachments/20090722/11b2665b/attachment-0015.jpg

Photo 4

Photo 4 is simply a close up of the corner where the beam and the bench come
together. I know that I tend to overbuild things, but I just think there is
a quiet beauty in simple strength and function. I love going in old barns
here in Iowa, and just contemplating the framing that was used.

<
http://ptg.org/pipermail/files/attachments/20090722/11b2665b/attachment-0016.jpg

Photo 5

Photo 5 shows a paper roll dispenser that is useful when the bench is to be
used for stripping case parts. The paper is contractor paper, available at
outlets such as Lowe’s or Home Depot. It comes about a foot wider than need,
so it must be cut to size. This is simply done on a chop saw, with the paper
pulled tight. The roll is then placed on a simple dowel, and held in place
by two brackets, which fasten down to the oak beam.

<
http://ptg.org/pipermail/files/attachments/20090722/11b2665b/attachment-0017.jpg

Photo 6

Photo 6 shows the contractor paper stretched over the work surface. If I
were using stripper, I would add several additional layers of newspaper for
protection as well. One thing noticeable in this picture is that the bench
vise is at the same level as the outer rim. I file molded keytops in my
bench vise all the time, and like the upper edge of the vise slightly raised
from the top of the bench, so I’m not continually digging my file into the
benchtop surface.

<
http://ptg.org/pipermail/files/attachments/20090722/11b2665b/attachment-0018.jpg

Photo 7

Photo 7 shows the oak strip on the side that the paper is pulled under. When
the paper is ready for replacement, it may be pulled all the way under the
strip, and torn off.

<
http://ptg.org/pipermail/files/attachments/20090722/11b2665b/attachment-0019.jpg

Photo 8

Photo 8 is of the side tool rack, for regulating tools and screwdrivers with
towel bar and a place for pencils and pens.

<
http://ptg.org/pipermail/files/attachments/20090722/11b2665b/attachment-0020.jpg

Photo 9

Photo 9 shows one of two tool wells. This is handy if you want to change
gears to do another job before one job is finished. Open up the top of the
well, shove all the tools in being used on the first job, and have them all
ready to go when you’re ready to get back to the original task. This also is
the access for screws that are used to hold the side shelving units firmly
in place.

<
http://ptg.org/pipermail/files/attachments/20090722/11b2665b/attachment-0021.jpg

Photo 10

Photo 10 is the tool well on the opposite side, where the bolts attaching
the oak beam to the side are accessed.

<
http://ptg.org/pipermail/files/attachments/20090722/11b2665b/attachment-0022.jpg

Photo 11

Photo 11 shows tool well with tools in temporary storage.

<
http://ptg.org/pipermail/files/attachments/20090722/11b2665b/attachment-0023.jpg

Photo 12

Photo 12. Storage for tuning pin and 1 lb. reels of wire. The tuning pin
storage adds a lot of ballast to the bench. I used a piece of pinblock for
the bottom shelf, but a double thickness of plywood would work as well.

Well, there’s the captions for the first 12 pictures. I’ll finish the rest
of them, and post them later today. Thanks again, Joe, for the thoughtful
comments. Chuck