[pianotech] Steinway L rebuild question

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Fri Jul 24 16:29:16 MDT 2009

Hi Terry,

The first thing I would do is to double-check the hammer bore
distance.  Perhaps you already did that.  But if you didn't:

Measure the string heights (each section), and measure the hammer
flange height (above the keybed).  For each section, subtract the
flange height from the string height.  This will give a bore distance
(from the tip of the hammer to the center of the shank hole) that
should yield a hammer perpendicular to the string (shank parallel to
the string) at contact.  It is common to add a few millimeters to this
distance before drilling, to compensate for filing/wear down the
road.  However, if the measured bore distance is more than a few
millimeters greater than the calculated (string minus flange)
distance, then the hammers were most likely bored too long.  It's not
that hard to plug and redrill, if this turns out to be the case.

Good luck,

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh