[pianotech] Old Kranich and Bach Grand

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sun Jul 26 11:49:09 MDT 2009

Yes, the thin CA will penetrate the wood and not leave enough in the joint.
This is why it is important to use accelerator on wood to wood joints. The
accelerator will set up the glue before it all absorbs.

I like to spray the accelerator and let it sit for a few seconds so the glue
doesn't set up instantly. I want a little absorption into the wood. Like
many other glues once you've used it often enough you get a feel for how to
use it in a way that works for you. I've tracked these repairs now for more
than 15 years and feel really good about the success rate.

It works especially well on the two piece jacks that come loose at the glue
joints. I routinely add a drop of CA to those joints on every action of that
style that comes across my bench, even if they are not yet exhibiting signs
of loosening.

For a little extra reinforcement on a wood break you can put a thin piece of
paper on either side of the break. Soak the paper with CA.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802