[pianotech] Backcheck and catcher felts

John Dorr a440 at bresnan.net
Mon Jul 27 09:55:08 MDT 2009

Hi,

I've got a job replacing ALL catcher leathers and backcheck felts in a
Steinway vertical.  I'm soliciting tips on speed and glue.  I thought to
remove the backcheck felts I could lay the felt and PART of the wooden heads
(in groups) into a tray of water to loosen the glue and make removal easier.
  Anybody know of a good surfactant to put in the water?  Like detergent, or
wallpaper remover? or??  And I am PRESUMING this to be safe for the wooden
head, since I've done many damper jobs like this and the damper heads have
come through fine.  Or is there a faster, better way I'm not aware of?

Then, the catcher leathers... I'm going to try wetting them individually with
an eyedropper using wallpaper remover/water solution until they can peel off.
 Unless somebody has a better idea...

And the glue.  I thought hot hide for both.  Your thoughts?

Thanks,

John Dorr
Helena, MT