[pianotech] regulating backchecks?

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 29 12:31:08 MDT 2009

You need a completely level bench to regulate on in your shop for starters.
I use a large Steelcase desk top leveled on top of cabinets with drawers for
my supplies.  I also use a "Grand Let Off Rack" available from Schaff Piano
Supply.

I regulate let off, key height and hammer line on all end keys prior to
removal of the action.  This way I have my proper let off and (usually)
proper after touch prior to removing the action.

The let off now becomes my hammer line when using the Let Off Rack.  I lower
the rack to the exact same height I had preset for the LET OFF --------- NOT
the hammer string line.  That way, I will have a consistent let off when I
regulate it to just "whisp" the rack.  I use it to also set my hammer line
in the same manner as well as regulation of the back check, drop etc.

That 1/16" difference in back check because of the lowered hammer line to
match let off on the rack will not matter once the action is placed back
into the piano.  It comes out consistently for me every single time.