[pianotech] regulating backchecks?

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Wed Jul 29 16:07:07 MDT 2009

Finally, Dave, a voice of "getting the feel" of regulation. Tools is good,
but touch is the final arbiter.

In a message dated 7/29/2009 4:55:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
david at davidandersenpianos.com writes:

On  Jul 29, 2009, at 11:07 AM, jim ialeggio wrote:

> What I really want  is a reliable protocol to prove that the bench
> top keybed is  precisely matching the piano's keybed.
>
> Any ideas out  there?

I'm continually surprised more technicians don't make use of the  two
simple ways I've found to recreate exact key travel outside the  piano:

---get real good at using a dip block (I use a hardwood 10mm)  then
either

1. get an Edwards Action Trolley and recreate  exact key travel by its
method...excellent and precise; or

2.  when the action is in your lap, put a cheekblock face down on one
knee under the balance rail and oonch around, move that leg, until  you
find the point where the key travel becomes exactly what it was  in the
keybed. Doing it will show you what I mean, and either  protocol will
create a sharp rise in your regulation precision and  get you real,
real friendly with your dip block.

David  Andersen

**************Hot Deals at Dell on Popular Laptops perfect for Back to
School