[pianotech] Pumper Flap Valve Leather

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Wed Jun 3 11:33:47 MDT 2009

I purchased some bulk flap valve leather.
Previously, I had used the precut individual ones.
This leather has courser hairs, or whatever the strandy stuff is.
I was thinking that this wouldn't be as air tight, so I was thinking on putting it hairy side up, on a flat surface and sanding it.
Would this work, or should I just go back to ordering individual ones from Schaff?
Or just cut it to size and use as is?
I can't even remember where I got it, probably APSCO.
I suppose I could just use the original inside ones, as they seem fine.
That way if the outside ones didn't work, I could just change them, without having to recover the bellows?
Any suggestions most welcome.
Thank you.
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada