[pianotech] twin legged grand

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Wed Jun 3 15:42:03 MDT 2009

Lee,
Are you talking about casters or caster cups ? If casters I would pull a leg off and examine the socket area to determine what type of rubber wheel caster would fit without major surgery. That being said, I would tell them that moving this piano rubber wheels or not is a recipe for disaster. Forget the floor .One good push from a determined amateur piano mover when a wheel catches sideways and down she goes.The problem with this design is that the grand piano trucks won't fit this six wheeled monstrosity.
Now back to your question .Did you mean caster cups?  See Schaff catalog page 19 and pick six  out.(I reference Schaff because the catalog is on my desk. Other suppliers offer cups as well.)
Tom Driscoll
  Subject: [pianotech] twin legged grand

  Hello list,

  I service a twin legged grand in a church which has a beautiful light wooden floor .

  The castors on the piano are in good condition, but they have requested rubber castors to protect the floor.  I dont think I can rubber castors (square cup type) so bearing in mind that there are six castors, what do you consider the best option to be?