[pianotech] Subject: group health insurance or health insurance for self employed

G Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Thu Jun 4 12:56:23 MDT 2009

Jon,

NY has (arguably)some of the best/strictest/challenging insurance requirements of just about any state in the union. These requirements are toward any and all companies wishing to sell (any) insurance in the Empire State. As a result there are very few companies participating in NY. If memory serves, the underwriting and reserve monies required by state regulations are the reason. As a result, only the bigger and more expensive companies do business there.

When I lived in NY I had Blue Cross and paid direct out of pocket. Very Very pricey but the potential benefits outweighed the price.

As another thought, You might consider having your company (DBA, LLC,SubS Company) joining NAMM. Natnl AssosMusicMerchants  they are a larger organization than PTG and may still have some health plans available to member companies for NY. No news here but, bottom line is you get what you pay for.  Health premiums are a deductable expense to a company BUT if you have any employees you must offer comparable plans to them as well.  Caveat Caveat and research research research and good luck.

Gerry C, RPT

--Forwarded Message Attachment--