[pianotech] string replacement

Elwood Doss edoss at utm.edu
Thu Jun 4 20:28:51 MDT 2009

I make two turns of the coil on a dummy tuning pin and turn the receptor
tuning pin out two turns.  Works for me...and, yes, I do this on an
upright.  I turn the pin sideways and out away from the other pins and,
using a T-lever make the coil.  I guess I'm sloppy, but I don't worry
about whether I have 3 or 4 coils on the tuning pins.  I've never had a
customer count the coils and tell me I screwed up.  They are just
excited to get the broken string replaced...makes that note, as well as
adjoining notes, sound way better (grin)!
Joy!
Elwood

Elwood Doss, Jr., M.M.E., RPT
Piano Technician/Technical Director