[pianotech] depressing rebuilds

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jun 5 16:24:23 MDT 2009

"How was it?", he asked as I was making out the bill for the
tuning. "Well", I said, "I've seen worse rebuilds, but this is
certainly a contender". A small stencil grand, with "Hamilton"
on the fall board, in a small town church. They decided it
needed tuned when they gave up trying to find the source of
the buzz coming from the tail area when they played D#-3. The
buzz took a minute or so, proving to be about an 8mm clear
glass sphere (Gypsy fortune teller mice?) sitting on the
soundboard at the low end of the tenor bridge. So much for the
reason for the service call. Then I tuned it. I made a mental
checklist as I looked it over during the tuning. Bright copper
plate color, agraffes painted too. Delignit block with at
least 4/0 pins, very erratic torque throughout. Nasty sounding
low tenor and killer octave. The plate had been lowered to
produce bearing on the concave soundboard. Epoxy (?) goobered
into a badly split up treble bridge cap, no attempt made to
clean up the notching, but the bridge pins were new and filed
nice and sharp on top. New keytops, overhanging all around,
with lots of slop in the original (I hope) bushings. New
hammers, and an action so badly out of regulation I'd call it
unplayable. The dampers also, naturally, worked very poorly.

He didn't know who had done the (what looked like very recent)
work, as the piano was a donation. Surprise! That just likely
means the owner got burned on a lousy rebuild and dumped it on
the church for the write off.

I didn't leave a card in the piano.
Ron N