[pianotech] Re. Rendering Problem

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 5 18:24:57 MDT 2009

I would suggest none that everyone else is recommending. <G> My choice would be LPS-1. Available at Ace Hardware Stores. Also buy an artist's brush. Spray some LPS-1 in the cap and paint the friction areas, (especially the under felt). Be careful about sloping the stuff on the pins or pinblock! I'd also suggest vacuuming the felt first to get the crud & fuzz off. Otherwise the LPS-1 will make it a permanent part of the felt. I have been using this lubricant for 35 years and have had no problems with it being in pianos. It's characteristics are that it displaces water, (I've used it to salvage flood ravaged pianos strings/castors, etc.), it attacks rust and turns it into a white powder that does not continue to grow; it dissipates in a few weeks, so it doesn't collect fuzz, etc. , like many other lubricants, which include WD-40, (that should never be used in a piano, IMHO) and Pianotech's whatever. It was developed for use in the Electronic Industry and works as described. The company makes many types of Electronics lubricants and cleaners. All good, IMHO.<G>
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police