[pianotech] what glue ....

André Oorebeek oorebeek at planet.nl
Sun Jun 7 11:08:24 MDT 2009

On Jun 7, 2009, at 6:29 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Andr? Oorebeek wrote:
>> I always glue my own hammers. I drill the hammers and then ream
>> them, so, that the holes are slightly bigger than the shanks.
>> The hammers are supposed to even wobble on the shank.
>> I then use a white glue, an expanding glue (exactly the same glue
>> Yamaha uses for that purpose) which completely fills up the extra
>> space around the shank.
>
> Andr?,
> What is the glue Yamaha uses? I've never been able to get a name for
> the stuff.
> Ron N

Ron,
For many years I tried to get the Yamaha glue from.. Yamaha.
No way José.
I then decided to find it out myself (that's the result).
For years I experimented with the help of a glue factory until I
finally found exactly the same stuff.
I do not know exactly what it is (I can ask) but it IS great stuff and
behaves just like the Yamaha glue.
What are those characteristics?

1. it is a white glue
2. it expands (very important!)
3. one can dilute it with water (very important!)
4. one can heat it and easily remove it
5. it can be used when it is very thick
6. that way it does not drip (very important!)
7. it leaves behind a beautiful glue collar/ring (very important!)
8. it dries up transparent which is beautiful (very important!)
9. it does not smell (like hide glue)
10. it is very easy in use which is good for speed
11. there are no glue 'lines' like with hide glue (because that dries
already in mid air)
12. one can easily store it for a long time in a closed container

Here is a picture of a hammer assembly I just glued :

    nice glue rings (wet)               the glue rings/collars dried

in other words : just great stuff

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek