[pianotech] Glue for hammers - question

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 11:04:09 MDT 2009

>I always glue my own hammers. I drill the hammers and then ream them,
so, that the holes are slightly bigger than the shanks.
The hammers are supposed to even wobble on the shank.
I then use a white glue, an expanding glue (exactly the same glue
Yamaha uses for that purpose) which completely fills up the extra
space around the shank. That way it will give me 'some' time to
position the hammer.
After one minute it is completely solid and it remains like that.
That is the factory procedure and it works like a charm. It gives us a
little time to fiddle around with the hammer head and at the same time
we have a very tight and strong connection.<

Andr? - May I ask what brand of white glue? I use hot animal hide glue, but
am wondering about alternatives. Chuck Behm