[pianotech] Wat Glue?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jun 7 13:36:51 MDT 2009

Jon Page wrote:
>  >Hot Hide Glue it is! Hot Hide Glue it has always been
>  >and Hot Hide Glue it always will be...
>
> I have encountered so much hot hide glue failure
> that I now use Bolduc wood glue for hanging hammers.
>
> Hot hide for damper felt and player work.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Jon Page

Sometime in my first few years of business, I had some
failures, and it ticked me off. I determined that the sharp
edge of the hole in the hammer molding was scraping off the
glue needed in the joint. Since then, I break the edge of the
hole with a multi-flute countersink of sorts and apply hot
hide glue to both the hole and the shank. Now the glue on the
shank is funneled into the joint instead of being scraped off,
and I've not had another failure since.
Ron N