[pianotech] Glue for hammers - question

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 7 19:19:19 MDT 2009

I am curious what the arguments or evidence may be for the tonal superiority
of a rock solid hammer to shank joint.

A rattling joint is not good, but what is lost if there is a small degree of
flexibility in the glue?

The hammer felt itself is definitely flexible by design, and not rock hard.

The hammer is not being driven when it reaches the string, it is moving by
its own inertia.

It is generally considered desirable that the hammer stay in contact with
the string a period of time, and not rebound instantly.

Eugene Thorndahl, the former glue chemist at Peter Cooper, suggested to me
that a small amount of glycerine added to hide glue would give it a little
more flexibility, and produce a more dependable hammer joint, but he was
addressing the strength of the joint under stress, not acoustic issues.

Ed Sutton