[pianotech] Re. Hide Glue was Wat Glue

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 7 20:34:23 MDT 2009

Ron N. said: "
Sometime in my first few years of business, I had some
failures, and it ticked me off. I determined that the sharp
edge of the hole in the hammer molding was scraping off the
glue needed in the joint. Since then, I break the edge of the
hole with a multi-flute countersink of sorts and apply hot
hide glue to both the hole and the shank. Now the glue on the
shank is funneled into the joint instead of being scraped off,
and I've not had another failure since."

Ron,
That's been my experience as well. Also, it helps if the shanks are knurled properly. The purpose of knurling is to compress the wood, slightly. When the water base hide glue hits it, it starts to expand. If you have done the drilling and knurling correctly, there will be NO failures, IMNSHO!<G> Ya almost have to use plastic explosives to remove the hammer head(s)!<G>
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police