[pianotech] Glue for hammers

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Mon Jun 8 02:40:42 MDT 2009

>The  Titebond M&T is quite flexible, and will only break when
>bent sharply and quite suddenly. It's sort of a shear
>thickening fluid, like Silly Putty, or a cornstarch and water
>mix.

Ron your five-month glue experiment is absolutely fascinating! Thank you
for reporting the results.

I noticed that the Titebond information sheet for M&T in fact lists it as
"Thixotropic polyvinyl acetate".  Tixotropic (just in case anyone here
doesn't know, but I am sure everyone does) is the word for exactly the
property of cornstarch & water and mixes like it, that flow and are easily
fluid with slow movement, but become brittle with attempted rapid
movement.

It sounds as if, interestingly, the Titebond M&T retains the thixotropic
property even when dry.  For  some applications, that might be useful.

If in fact the dried M&T is brittle with rapid movement, then maybe it
would be OK for hammers: If we can consider the movement of and vibration
in a hammer as of sudden onset when it hits the string, then if the dried
M&T is thixotropic, perhaps the join would in fact be extremely rigid at
the onset of the hammer blow.

But I dunno.

Best,

David.