[pianotech] Ron N. design update

Jude Reveley (Absolute Piano) juderev at verizon.net
Mon Jun 8 07:45:23 MDT 2009

Sorry, late entry...kinda hectic around here...

Surprises, Ron? Only pleasant ones. Definitely the best killer octave I've ever heard on one of my own rebuilds. I like the character of the the middle very much as well. The piano definitely sucks me in, like when I pass by just to play a few notes and then a half hour passes by until I suddenly smell the hot hide burning...ooops.

The achilles heel is still the transition.  You told me so...a new treble bridge might have been the key, dunno, we are limited by what we we can ultimately pull off. My bass string maker also made some changes.I think my Bacon felt is also too soft for the bass even though those hammers absolutely kick bottom in the treble without any juice! Renner blues sound pretty good in the bass, but I'm not about to start mixing sets of hammers. I'm trying to learn to voice first and certainly getting some great ideas from Andre's (add accent) book.

Once I have a chance to review the bass data, I'll send you my work on the RCS Stwy C, like I promised. I've got a B and an O in the works now too. BTW the Ron-o-meter that Jim I. and I reproduced is the best instrument I've got in the wood conditioning room. Still want pictures? No changes on the bridgecap experiment. Gotta go, but I look forward to more in-depth conversations sometime. I can't make it to Grand Rapids, unfortunately, but some other time, I'm sure.

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
www.absolute-piano.com