[pianotech] Baldwin 243 keyframe/keybed

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Mon Jun 8 12:21:00 MDT 2009

Folks,

Victim: 1966 vintage 243

Perp: water, aided by roof malfunction - (as I was writing this, the
college maintenance crew came by my room, shovel in hand, and tells me
that there apparently was/is a leaf build-up)

Well aimed leak dropped several acoustic ceiling tiles on case and
keys. Some dripping was onto the fronts of the keys and has swollen
many into oneness. Some water, after puddling on music shelf, soaked
the backs of the treble section and back rail cloth, lowering unified
keys and raising hammers off rest rail. Puddle under piano.

Back in 1986 a similar scenario occurred to another 243. At that time,
I replaced keybed, keyframe, keys and did some bridge repair. Of
course, at that time Baldwin was still Baldwin and a keyset closely
resembling the spacing was available.

I know that the new 243's have more wound strings above the break (4
vs:2) , but if I decide not to turn this one into firewood (as is my
current inclination) and try replacing keyframe and keys, is the
spacing the same?

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT
lusting for kindling...