[pianotech] Floating bridge with a difference

pianoguru at cox.net pianoguru at cox.net
Wed Jun 10 19:55:20 MDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 9:36 PM , Fred Brown RPT wrote:
> My guess would be a May Berlin on a Hailun back?

Now that you mention Hailun, I just had to go out on the factory floor
and see what I could find.  Hailun does make strung backs for
manufacturers around the world, including Petrof in Europe.  I did not
find an exact match to the photo, but there are examples of
multi-laminate bass bridge caps and others with segmented aprons (some
with three segments, others with four).  The ones I saw were a Japanese
designed back, for a company in Indonesia.  I don't know the brand name
under which they are shipped out from there.

Some of what I see in this factory leaves some things to be desired.
When it is built to another companies specifications, I have no control
over it.  If it bear the Hailun name, I have a bit more influence.

Frank Emerson

P. S. Still in Ningbo, and under strict instructions from the Chinese
Health Dept. to take my body temperature twice daily, even after 12
healthy days in country.  They are paranoid about the H1?1 (swine) flu.