[pianotech] Obama Piano

William Morton wjmwjm at asisna.com
Fri Jun 12 15:18:29 MDT 2009

On 12, Jun 2009, , at Friday, 12June13:09, KeyKat88 at aol.com wrote:

> Doesnt the white house have a Steinway with gold leafed carved
> eagles as legs?

I vaguely recall from a recent C-Span special on the White House
that there is that older Steinway with the gold-leaf legs, but I got the
impression that it was more of an objet d'art or a historical item,
rather
than a professionally maintained, usable instrument.  I believe there
are at least 2 more grand pianos somewhere within the structure;
one may be in the family quarters.  When a visiting piano artist plays
there, I wonder if they use one that is present, or bring in a loaner?

I also have a visual image of Harry Truman playing a piano in the
White House but my mental image of that tells me that it was
an upright rather than a grand.  However, my memory isn't as
wonderful as it used to be! <g>