[pianotech] Ringing on/Hughes Suggestion

David G. Hughes, RPT davidghughesrpt at comcast.net
Sat Jun 13 08:13:41 MDT 2009

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Laura Read
  To: pianotech at ptg.org
  Sent: Saturday, June 13, 2009 9:44 AM
  Subject: [pianotech] Ringing on

  I am working on an old Haines Bros. 5' grand with lots of issues, including significant cracks in the soundboard, but I don't have a clue why the sound is ringing on. I have regulated the dampers, which apparently were replaced a few years back, but even when I put my hand down on the strings I can't stop the sound. Any ideas?

  Thank you,

  Laura

      Have the tail (waste) lengths of the strings, particularly in the bass and low tenor, been muted out with string braid?

      David G. Hughes, RPT