[pianotech] sluggish (was no subject)

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 14:40:56 MDT 2009

Todd, What is the gram weight resistance of the wippen flanges (and how many
did you measure)? And the measured resistance for the jacks? Actual
measurements can be superior to on-the-fly diagnostics.That pickiness aside,
I worked for the local Wurlitzer company owned stores in the Boston area
about 30 years ago, and I think careful use of jiffy key leads (maybe even
cutting them in two & using half leads), positioned just far enough to have
the keys return properly, can be an economically feasible (and easily
reversible) measure for these beasts. That would be for the customer who
says "just tune it, I don't want to spend money on 'customizing' this
piano'." Well, they're got to pay for your time to make it at least
minimally responsive.
The better solution (and more $ for the customer) would be to shrink or
lubricate the wippen flanges (while it is true that these keyboards were
never really weighed off, I think the main problem is at the wippen
assembly), rebush keys with better quality felt,  etc.
Or, more realistically, replacing it with a Yamaha U1, or a nice Kawai, etc.
Patrick