[pianotech] ergonomic grand regulation ideas?

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 18:29:17 MDT 2009

    Yes, the low stool on wheels from Harbor Freight is good.  I take it
to homes for regulating capstans, including on uprights, and for
regulating damper underlevers and for leveling keys.  In my shop I have
a low stool like the ones for milking cows and  and a 2-step plus top
"seat" stepladder.  The low one's good for leveling keys and regulating
capstans; the higher one's good for most other grand regulating steps.
    I don't know why one would need a creeper chair an inch from the
floor except maybe for working on pedal lyres.
    However, none of the replies to your query addresses the
back-killing problem of bending over dampers on a grand while you check
them for even lift, no "twisting," proper seating on strings, etc.  If
someone else could operate the pedal while we hang suspended from the
ceiling like Superman, that might work.  There may not be a good
solution except for trying to develop speed and efficiency so you're not
bending over for too long
    --David Nereson