[pianotech] Moving 4 legged consoles and spinets

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 11:09:17 MDT 2009

Hello gang,

I was helping some friends move their piano yesterday and it was one of
those 4 legged consoles with the narrow bottom and the grand style pedal
lyre. It did not want to sit on the dolly (I use a standard New Haven dolly)
very securely. You really had to hold onto it for it not to tip over towards
the keybed side of the piano.

It had to go up 8 steps to the second floor of their new house. Fun stuff!
Strapping the piano to the dolly helped some. but it was still precarious.

I had moved one like this years ago (it was a Weaver) and I ended up putting
the whole piano on plywood and then on the dolly. It was a pain but was
somewhat more steady.

Any tips on moving these awkward instruments??

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter