[pianotech] Moving 4 legged consoles and spinets

Brad Smith, RPT pianotech at smithpiano.com
Sun Jun 14 19:09:55 MDT 2009

Three ways I've used for this situation:

1.   I built a set of adjustable props which go between the keybed and
the dolly.   Then, strap the whole thing into one unit.

2. After completely wrapping the piano in heavy blankets, you can put
a ratchet strap horizontally around the upper portion of the piano,
just above the keyboard, and use two additional straps attached
vertically ( in the back of the piano) ..... from the horizonal strap
to the dolly.
This forces the piano to stay in an upright position.

You also need to put one or two on the keyboard side so that you don't
pull the dolly out from under the piano.   This basically locks the
piano onto the dolly.

3.  My favorite method:
Use two large C clamps, and clamp the back bottom beam to the dolly.
Then strap the whole thing together as one unit.

For stairs, you just put a ramp with a hook point at the top, and
power the piano up the ramp with your customized mobile 2000lb hoist.
 ( I got mine from Pianotek before they stopped selling them   :-)

see this link for photos:
http://www.smithpiano.com/moving/photo/index.htm

That's all there is to it !

--