[pianotech] Baldwin plastique

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 14 19:57:57 MDT 2009

Hi Joe, I recently replaced a set of these and wrote about it for the
Partial Post.  Here is a copy of the text with some photos.  One thing to
mention straight out is that a previous tech tried to repair the flanges,
but it did not last.

The Weird Stuff: Replacing Vertical Damper Flanges

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT

Replacing damper flanges won't come up very often.  Old plastic flanges from
around the fifties will need replacement.  Sometimes weakened springs need
to be replaced.  My most recent job is a Baldwin studio from 1982.  The
plastic damper flanges are a poor design which causes them to break where
they hold the spring.  The symptom is that some dampers stop working
completely.  The flanges are molded with a stub that sticks out about an
eighth of an inch to hold the coil of the damper spring (photo 1).  There is
a slot in the flange to hold the short end of the spring, also known as the
Shepherd's hook. The stub breaks off and the spring comes out or no longer
works (photo 2).  On this piano a previous technician repaired the flange by
drilling a hole and replacing the broken stub with a center pin.  This was a
short term fix; the flange ruptured where the center pin was inserted (photo
3).  On this piano ten of the sixty-seven flanges were broken, so we decided
to replace the set.

Try to find a set of new parts that will fit as well as possible.  The size
of the flange and length of the spring are the obvious factors.  Also
important are the placement of the screw hole and the size and depth of the
recess on the flange bottom to help fix the position of the flanges on the
rail.  The ridge on the action rail to hold the damper flanges should fit
properly in the flange's recess.

After numbering each damper lever and removing them from the rail, the old
flanges can be removed.  To ream the new action centers, you might try using
an electric screwdriver with a knurled center pin held in a drill chuck
(photo 4).  The set I had needed a lot of reaming and this method was less
likely to push or pull the bushing cloth out of the flange.  The holes on
the flanges needed to be enlarged slightly to fit on the action rail (photo
5).  The ridge on the rail needed to be planed down a little so the flanges
could sit firmly on both sides (photos 6 and 7).  If the flanges fit great
to begin with, I could have skipped these steps, but this was not the case.
A small try square against the side of the flange and against the rail ridge
confirmed the flanges would sit straight (photo 8).

After the damper levers and new flanges are all installed, some minor
adjustments should be checked.  Make sure the damper heads/felts are spaced
well and parallel to each other.  Other regulation adjustments should not
have changed much unless previous repairs required changes.  Checking
everything you can while the action is on your workbench will make things go
quicker in the home.

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT

bdornfeld at earthlink.net

North Shore Chapter