[pianotech] New Asian piano that will not hold a tuning

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Sun Jun 14 18:15:36 MDT 2009

David,

There are lots of variables we don't know here.  For one, is it being played
regularly, as in a student practicing hard?  Playing serious music?

Check plate bolts, and tap down a couple of string coils on the tuning pins.
If the coils are unstable you can loose 1 whole tone (200c) easily - so they
all need to be tapped down, or that 200c will drop over the next few years.

The new strings are also likely unstable, so do a test.  Measure a string in
the mid-treble, then tap it down lightly or hook it up at all of the string
bends. See how much it drops - if a lot (more than 10c), then the piano
probably has very stiff wire that still needs to stabilize. You can speed
this along if the customer is willing to pay you for your time, or you can
just keep feeding it tunings.

To get them stable, raise the pitch above normal by about the same amount
that the sample string dropped.  So use RCT in pitch raise mode, but if the
sample string dropped 20c, also set RCT to 445 when tuning the treble
strings to give extra compensation.

Or, just treat it like a new piano and tune it a lot!  I like to get the
strings stabilized, though, as I feel the end result is a more stable piano.

Don Mannino