[pianotech] Moving 4 legged consoles and spinets

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Mon Jun 15 00:13:04 MDT 2009

Hi Ryan,

About two nights before I first had to move one of these buggers
without much help, I got a little nervous thinking about how to do it
safely.  So, I went down to the shop and cobbled together this:

It is a platform that attaches to a piano dolly via three upside-down
L shaped cleats (one in the front and two in the rear).  The cleats
are attached via slots to the 1/4-20 knobs/studs that you see on the
bottom rectangular board, which sits on the two dolly rails.  To
install it onto the dolly takes well under a minute:  you loosen the
knobs, slide the knobs/cleats inward, place the rectangular base on
the dolly rails, slide the knobs outward so that the "L" cleats grab
the rails from underneath, and tighten the knobs.  (If I had thought a
little more clearly while making it, two cleats could be fixed, and
only one could slide/loosen/tighten, but then it wouldn't necessarily
center on dollies of different sizes, or be tight on dollies with
rails of different thicknesses.)  It's even faster to remove it from
the dolly.

The triangular base of the support leaves room for the pedals, and
distributes downward force from the weight of the keybed to the edges
of the dolly, which reduces stress on the dolly's front rail (as
compared to a simple vertical member).  The upper support is height
adjustable via a sliding dovetail.  To find the correct height,
measure the distance from the underside of the bottom board (not from
the floor) to the underside of the keybed, and set the height of the
support that distance above the height of the dolly end members.
There is a scale on the vertical part of the support so I don't have
to  measure every time (you can't see it in these photos; it's on the
other side of the vertical member).  In actual use, I don't have to
adjust the height very often.

It is quite easy to strap the piano securely to the dolly once this
support is installed, although it is often not necessary to do so.

This platform may or may not help you with steps, but It has saved my
bacon on several occasions, and turns a potentially nerve-wracking
move into a routine one.

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh

P.S. - yes, that dolly itself is a homemade one that I made the night
before my very first piano move;  it seems that practically every jig
or home-made tool in my shop was made the night before some job was
due to be completed, or the night before it would be needed in a
client's home....