[pianotech] crown and radius

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jun 15 09:10:40 MDT 2009

pianoguru at cox.net wrote:

> Ron N wrote:
>>> If your crowns are uniform radius circle segments, the high points
>>> couldn't be anywhere other than in the rib center.
>
> This assumes that the elevations of the ends of the rib are the same,
> which they are not, as I and others would have it.

No, it's relative to a line projected between the rib ends. I
don't see any use for altitude measurements, as they would
totally eliminate any such discussions of vertical pianos.

This has come up before, and in most cases the person talking
about the high point was meaning the thickest part. In some
cases though, it was believed that the actual high point of
the arc could be moved off center of the rib. I try to address
the point presented, rather than what the presenter might have
possibly meant.
Ron N