[pianotech] crown and radius

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Mon Jun 15 16:55:19 MDT 2009

Hi Ron:

" Not necessarily. The center of load support of the rib is what
you should be talking about, and it can be moved to where you
want it by asymmetric feathering, and tapering."

So, is this something you do?  It seems that the only place in the rib scale
where you might consider this would be the high treble ribs, where the
bridge sits so close to the belly rail, and so far from the rim, even with a
treble fish.  I know that you are thirding your ribs, so how would you fit
that into your process?

I do remember seeing some old chickerings with ribs that were asymmetrically
thicknessed.

This is of more than passing interest to me, as I am presently shaping my
set of ribs for my Steinway A rebuild, for which I will be thirding the
laminated ribs.

Will Truitt