[pianotech] solid sost. tabs

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jun 16 11:46:12 MDT 2009

joel a. jones wrote:
> List.
>
> Anyone have any material to use for replacing the solid
> sostenuto tabs on the older Steinways?
>
> I was thinking there was some type of neoprene or rubber
> that would easily replace the old tab.  Of course it needs to be
> somewhat flexible.

Baldwin used some sort of rubber tab on the small grands, and
they were wretched little things. Resist! By the time you
undercut the block so the tab will bend down more easily than
up, find a sheet rubber that won't harden and will stay
straight, size the block to fit it, find a glue that will hold
it in, cut it to size and install it, you'd be ahead putting
in a new back action with spring tabs.

At least I would.

Ron N