[pianotech] Discounts to Dealers

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 18 09:31:44 MDT 2009

Julia said: "I give dealers about 30% off my regular fee. Some give up yo 50%
off tunings. ..potential new customer is worth the discount."

Let's turn the Question around and ask: How much of a Discount do dealers give US???!!! I have found that, IF I have been doing work for a specific dealer and we have a good rapport, I've been offered two different 'discounts'. l. 20% off retail. or 2. "Cost  + 20%". Hence, I will give a Dealer, (as well as a fellow technician, [Guild],  20% discount for repairs, referrals, etc. I think that is a FAIR amount. Anything else, we are selling ourselves short, IMHO! It is natural to take any amount and 'run', if it's offered.<G> Also, by offering a dealer a reasonable discount, I believe you create a good "face" and precedence, i.e. respect for the Dealer and yourself.<G>
Just my 20% worth.<G>
Regards

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police