[pianotech] Dealer labor fees

Owen Greyling greyco at kingston.net
Thu Jun 18 09:27:34 MDT 2009

That really depends on the relationship with the dealer and the volume of
work that the dealer provides.

I have one dealer that I discount 70% for floor tunings and piano
preparation. I have a key for his store, and I can work at whatever time of
the day is convenient for me. I do not like to work in the store during
business hours, and am willing to go to great lengths to avoid that type of
aggravation. Work outside of the store has traditionally been discounted at
15% to 20%.

I worked for one dealer for 20 years, at full price. They were located
almost two hours away, and because he never balked at the price, I did lots
of extras that kept everybody happy for very little extra charge. I normally
travelled one day every two weeks to work there.

Recently, I was informed that most dealers who hire outside tuners are
wanting to pay a flat rate of $200.00 per day for an eight hour work day. I
don't really know if this is true, seems to me that would be the rate for a
full time skilled employee.

Hope this helps.

Owen,
Ontario, Canada