[pianotech] Calling all Chemists

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 18 23:11:49 MDT 2009

The stuff I use is called Extend.  Spray it on, and the rust turns black.
They say NOT to remove the rust, but just spray it on.  I used to have a
Subaru that was a rust-bucket.  I sprayed this stuff on all the rust spots,
then had bodywork done.  Usually, the paint bubbles where rust was, and
rust continues to spread.  Not on my Subaru.  The fender never rusted there
anymore.  There's also a preventative rust spray from the same company.
Local hardware store.
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego

I'll look into this as well as the other offerings. Thanks!

Behalf Of johndelmore at suddenlink.net
> Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2009 7:21 PM
> To: pianotech at ptg.org
> Subject: Re: [pianotech] Calling all Chemists
>
> I generally use 6N hydrochloric acid in the lab.  If you don't have a
source for that, there's a product called "The Works"...it's a toilet bowl
cleaner (accept no substitute...obviously, not any old bowl cleaner will
'work'...), buck and a quarter at Wally-World.  I've used it with good
results before, but it may need a little soak-time.  If you use either of
these, rinse well and neutralize with a weak baking soda solution as soon
as the rust is dissolved.