[pianotech] fazioli

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Fri Jun 19 18:23:31 MDT 2009

And that's the stranglehold of lockstep thinking that stifles creativity and
prevents minds from being truly open.

And maybe there is less than it seems.  After all, Microsoft dominates the
software market in much the same way as Steinway dominates the concert
stage, but market dominance is not the same thing as the best or highest
quality.  The two do not necessarily go hand in hand.  Steinway's position
is the result of many factors, including extraordinary marketing skills, and
is not solely driven by quality.

I first heard Steingraeber at NAMM in 2000, where I was able to compare it
to all the other great German makes, as well as Steinway.  I had never heard
of the piano before I saw it, and it just blew me away. It was as good as
anything there.

I do not find it particulary meaningful to call a certain piano the "best".
It's a bit like saying who is the greatest artist?  Michelangelo or Picasso?
Why do I have to choose?  Can't I like and admire both? Aren't we the richer
for having a place for both in our cultural world?

Will Truitt