[pianotech] Hide Glue Question

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sat Jun 20 14:57:28 MDT 2009

John  writes:

<< For the first time ever, I have a batch of hide glue, that smells bad.
I have, unfortunately, used it on some bellows.

Is the strength of it less?

What is wrong that it has this bad smell?

I bought it in the last month, and it is a fresh batch.

Kind of reminds me of a cow byre. >>

     If it smells bad, it is usually a sign of bacteria having taken up
residence.  The strength will be compromised, but it should still be quite a
bit stronger than leather or bellows cloth.  I would suggest that you  glue a
couple of pieces of spruce together, (with a very thin sizing coat used
first), and then see if the bond is stronger than the wood.

Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See
yours in just 2 easy steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585064x1201462784/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=6680
72&hmpgID=62&bcd=JunestepsfooterNO62)</HTML>