[pianotech] Leveling keys

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 21 15:19:58 MDT 2009

All,
To me, the word level means FLAT And paralell to the floor! Anything else is Curving, which I don't do, because I think it's not smart thinkin'.<G> I mean, WHY? Just doesn't make sense to me. I have a Pratt-Read Stick, that has one side curved 1mm and the other is straight. It is a piece of wood, (suspect bass wood), with Ivorine on both sides. That sucker does not deviate one iota....ever! Wish they were still available. I use the curved side when I am leveling keys on my "Master Bench", which has a 1mm crown in it's 2" thick, 7' x 3' laminated maple top. That way, when the action is put back in the piano, the keys are LEVEL, as in flat, as in parallel to the floor/key bed.<G> If I am using the thing in the field, I always use the Straight side. I've never had a pianist ask for such an abomination, so why do it?'
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.<G>
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police