[pianotech] Wheelchairs and piano legs in nursing homes

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Sun Jun 21 17:07:17 MDT 2009

There is a console piano in a local seniors complex here in Brandon that is
sitting on a plywood platform that stablizes the legs.  I call it a
platform, but it is simply a piece of plywood sitting directly on the
carpet, with the piano sitting on top of it.  I don't remember if the
casters at the back of the piano have been removed to maintain the piano at
its standard height.  The plywood is cut so that it extends out under the
bottoms of the legs (there might be something like cups or holes where the
legs sit) but the area under the keyboard is not obstructed - the carpet
remains exposed right up to the kickboard.  Think of a rectangular sheet
sitting under the main body of the piano with arms extending out to receive
the bottoms of the legs.

The surface of the plywood is stained to match the finish of the piano, more
or less.  The result is that the piano is no longer movable, but the legs
are stabilized by the functional equivalent of toe blocks.

I'm sorry I don't have a photo of the installattion.

Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter