[pianotech] 2nd request - repinning

Carlos Ralon ceralon at comcast.net
Sun Jun 21 21:48:51 MDT 2009

Hi Chuck,
My answers for an upright repining. I assume you are installing new strings on the project piano?
1. 4/0 pins after sampeling in each section
2. I do not ream. I brush with a hard brush used to clean a .22 cal rifle.
3. I once reamed an old Knabe (1895) upr that had #1,  2" pins. I installed #3 2 1/4" pins.
4. I wear a cheap cotton glove on my left hand. I dip the pin about 1/2" in powered resin. If my hands           get the least bit damp I use powered chalk. I now use the Scorsino (spelling) stringing tool for winding     strings on the pins.
5. Blued pins about 90% of the time, unless requested to use nickle plated.

Hope this helps and good luck with the project.
Carlos K. Ralon, RPT
and this summer an Oiler on the historic Liberty Ship SS John W. Brown.