[pianotech] Bechstein Cracked Plate and Pin Block

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Mon Jun 22 17:27:08 MDT 2009

Hi Jon:

Danger, danger, Will Robinson, alien life forms approaching!! (To borrow a
phrase from the robot on "Lost in Space")

I do have some questions - is that the original pinblock or a replacement,
as best you can tell?  My suspicion is that it is the original, as I think
that a new pinblock a few years out of the shop would be unlikely to split
so soon.  It is split where they usually do.

Are you planning on pulling the plate and removing strings to do the repair
you speak of?

Either way, the plate is already cracked, so it's just a question of dead or
deader.  You're going to have to lower the tension no matter what.  I would
"baby it down", by lowering each tuning pin a bit and moving across the
tuning pin field one row at a time, go all the way through, come back and
lower it some more, and keep doing that until you have the tension off.  I
don't know what you could do that would be more gentle than that.

I think you would want some assurance from someone skilled and of good
reputation in repairing cracked plates that this can be repaired.  It is my
guess that it can be repaired, but only by someone with lots of experience
in plate repair (and I do not qualify as an expert here).  And I would have
him take a look at the two repairs already made.  You have no assurance that
they were done well, even though they are not presently cracked.  For all
you know, it may be bondo in there.

The plate cracks are where Bechstein plates usually crack.  My understanding
is that this occurs because the struts are thin, and the pinblocks are
poorly fit.  The combination of the two leads to the crack over a long
period of time.  (These pinblocks are so hard to fit, even the Germans
couldn't do it right all the time!).  If it is the case that the pinblock is
poorly fit, then I think you have no choice but to replace the pinblock, as
you otherwise would not be addressing the problem.  And the fact that the
first rebuilder had to deal with plate cracks reinforces this need to
replace the pinblock.  Of course, the only way to have a full idea of how
well the block is fit, is to pull the plate.

I know you to be a very fine technician and a person of good reputation,
Jon.  I think anything short of skilled plate repair and well fit new
pinblock has the potential to come back and haunt you.  My concern would be
that your suggested repairs could be band-aids on top of band-aids, no
matter how skillfully done.

I would be interested in how this works out.  My next project after my
Steinway is a 7' 6" Bechstein that needs a new block.  And I have another
customer with a 6 1/2 footer whose pinblock is on its knees.

Best wishes to you,

Will Truitt