[pianotech] Bechstein Cracked Plate and Pin Block

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Jun 23 07:57:11 MDT 2009

There are a particular vintage of Bechstein pianos that very often crack in
that spot--early 1900's don't remember when exactly.  Personally, I agree
and would not do anything invasive with this piano that involved playing
with the tensions unless it was a complete teardown repair the cracks with
the plate-repair-method-of-the-day and even then with serious disclaimers
about any guarantees that the struts won't fail again. My tendency is to
avoid these situations.  Give it to the more adventurous young folks whose
hearts are a bit stronger than mine.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com