[pianotech] Grand Hammer Removal / Replacement

Escapement escapement at comcast.net
Tue Jun 23 09:00:43 MDT 2009

Hello all, first, thanks again to all those who contribute here on a regular
basis-I find this list an invaluable resource.

When replacing grand hammers (retaining existing shanks) should I prep the
hammer/ shank joint in any way prior to using my grand hammer press?  My
bible (Reblitz) doesn't mention any need.

I ask because when I use the press, it leaves a dimple in the top of the
shank and seems to slightly swell it as well.

I'm able to reshape the top by knurling with pliers, but I wonder if I could
be doing it better.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Gary Hodge, PTG, assoc.