[pianotech] FW: Re: crack

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jun 23 09:14:21 MDT 2009

Ed Sutton wrote:
> I see red flags.
> People who are trying to file a bogus insurance claim are not likely to
> pay a piano technician who doesn't support their story.
> Proceed with caution. Get paid up front.
>
> Ed S.

I've seen this situation dozens of times. "The movers cracked
my soundboard". No, they didn't. The move might possibly have
done it, from a very wet climate to a very dry one, but it
wasn't the movers. I don't think the owners are trying to file
a bogus insurance claim. They're just ignorant. The soundboard
on most of these I've seen have likely been cracked for a long
time, judging from the dust backfill in the crack. The owner
likely didn't realize this because the lid hadn't been opened
for many years (displacing the family portraiture archive),
until the post-move inspection. The piano being a half
semitone low lends some credence to this. Then, having been
taught from birth that a crack in the soundboard means the
piano is toast, they panic when they see the ancestral picture
shelf at risk, and look for an out. They know *they* didn't
crack it, so someone else *must* have.

Ron N