[pianotech] Grand Hammer Removal / Replacement

G Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Tue Jun 23 13:29:49 MDT 2009

A "speed" technique is to cut the hammers off without touching the shanks. This is done by using a pair of side cutters and cutting (a splitting of sort of the hammre wood)from the tail up toward the shank. After a few times this is quit a rapid hammre removal method.  There is no need to chip off the glew collar until after the entire set of hammers is removed.

If you want to use the exsisting hammers for a guide for hanging the new set then just cut off every other hammer, hang the new ones then snip off the remaining and complete the remainders.

This can technique also be used for the verts.

Would also suggest after removing the hammers to clean up the shanks and remove any glue.

Schaff tools 238 They call them Diagonal Music Wire Nippers aka Side cutters  Also 3207 Hamner Shank Cutters pg 67

Shank reducer # 75 can be used (with caution) for cleaning off the glue.

Good luck

Gerry C, RPT

--Forwarded Message Attachment--